What is Reiki ?
Reiki is the art of channeling Universal Energy for healing purposes. It is a very intuitive process in which you are taught to psychically feel what is what someone else needs, so you can consciously attune yourself with that kind of energy, to channel it more effectively, without distractions.
Reiki translates to "Life force energy", and is quickly becoming a very recognized method of healing and giving energy to a person by reconnecting to our source's energy, call it God, Universe, Christ, and becoming a conduit to transfer the energy to the recipient.
Reiki is a Japanese form of Divine healing energy. In different cultures it may be called life force or Chi. Reiki is made up of 2 ancient Japanese kanji characters. The first one means "soul" or "spiritual." Ki, the second kanji symbol means "energy."
A type of ancient healing involving gentle massage therapy and deep relaxation; also written Reiki, also called Reiki system.
Reiki is a form of therapy that uses simple hands-on, no-touch, and visualization techniques, with the goal of improving the flow of life energy in a person. Reiki (pronounced ray-key) means "universal life energy" in Japanese, and Reiki practitioners are trained to detect and alleviate problems of energy flow on the physical, emotional, and spiritual level. Reiki touch therapy is used in much the same way to achieve similar effects that traditional massage therapy is used-to relieve stress and pain, and to improve the symptoms of various health conditions.
Reiki Purpose :
Reiki claims to provide many of the same benefits as traditional massage therapy, such as reducing stress, stimulating the immune system, increasing energy, and relieving the pain and symptoms of health conditions. Practitioners have reported success in helping patients with acute and chronic illnesses, from asthma and arthritis to trauma and recovery from surgery. Reiki is a gentle and safe technique, and has been used successfully in some hospitals. It has been found to be very calming and reassuring for those suffering from severe or fatal conditions. Reiki can been used by doctors, nurses, psychologists and other health professionals to bring touch and deeper caring into their healing practices.
Reiki History :
Reiki was developed in the mid-1800s by Dr. Mikao Usui, a Japanese scholar of religion. According to the story that has been passed down among reiki teachers, Usui was a Christian who was intrigued by the idea that Christ could heal sick people by touching them with his hands. Reiki was first created in the 20th century by Mikao Usui, who was a Tendai Buddhist. He spent a large amount of time meditating and fasting, and it was during these activities that he discovered Reiki. He wrote that he had learned of the practice through a mystical experience. The knowledge that he gained would allow him to harness and apply the powers that are attributed to Reiki. By using initiations, he would be able to help people gain access to energy. When patients participate in these initiations, they may become a more powerful channel for the energy, and this can help them receive better treatments.
In the Japanese language, Reiki is actually 2 words, Rei-Ki, meaning Universal Life Force Energy. Everyone has Reiki as it is the energy of life itself. Reiki is not a religion, not a doctrine, not a creed. It is a method of energy healing that emanates from the Source of creation.
Reiki was originally written in the Sanskrit Scrolls, however had been a lost practice until Dr. Usui completed his 25 year quest to discover how to heal the body. His quest ended with a 21 day fast on Mount Kurama-yama. On the 21st day of his fast he received a vision of the Reiki symbols and was given the ability to use the Reiki to help others as well as the ability to pass on the Reiki symbols and techniques to others.
The modern history of Reiki begins with Dr. Mikao Usui (1865-1926). Dr. Usui is said to have travelled through many countries searching for techniques to heal people, body and soul. Finally, he sat down on Mt. Kurama in Japan for a 21 day fasting meditation called kushu shinren. It was during this purification process that he envisioned the techniques and symbols of energy healing that he named Reiki. He proceeded to travel around Japan healing people and training new students of Reiki.
The Reiki energy will either give or take away the correct amount of energy needed to balance a persons mind, body and emotions.
Reiki can effect change in the physiological structure of the body, helping to regenerate muscle tissue, nerves, skeletal defects, and organ tissue. Reiki helps balance Chakras, emotional energy, and can help facilitate a closer connection to ones spiritual self.
Reiki can also be used for helping pets, plants, water, food, and all things in creation. All things are energy and can be healed with Reiki energy.
People seek Reiki ! Why ?
People seek Reiki treatment for several health-related reasons. Some of these reasons include:
- Effects of stress.
- Chronic pain.
- Recovery from surgery and anesthesia.
- Side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy for cancer.
- Lowering heart rate.
- Improving immunity.
- Mental clarity.
- Sense of well-being and/or spirituality.
- Enhancing the sense of peace in people who are dying.
The Basic Philosophy of Reiki :
The basic concept underlying reiki is that the body has an energy field that is central to its health and proper functioning, and this energy travels in certain pathways that can become blocked or weakened. This idea of energy flow in the body is also a central concept in Ayurvedic medicine and traditional Chinese medicine, including acupuncture.
Reiki practitioners believe that everyone has the potential to access the universal life energy, but that over time most people's systems become blocked and the energy becomes weakened in them. A reiki practitioner is trained to be able to detect these blockages, and practitioners will use their hands, thoughts, and own energy fields to improve the energy flow in a patient. Reiki is one of the more esoteric alternative medical practices, because no one is sure exactly how it works on the physiological level. Practitioners claim that it works on very subtle energy levels, or possibly works on the chakra system. The chakras are the system of seven energy centers along the middle of the body believed to be connected with the nervous and endocrine systems, as defined by yoga and Ayurvedic medicine. Reiki masters claim that healing energy can even be sent to a person from far away, noting that reiki works on the same principles that enables praying to work for some patients, although a practitioner needs advanced training to be able to send energy from afar.
What Reiki is :
- Gentle: Reiki's touch is soft and light.
- Harmless: Reiki can have only positive results.
- Natural: You don't need any equipment or tools.
- Healing: The highest level of healing is the goal of Reiki.
- Balancing: Reiki will balance your energy levels.
- Relaxing: The top reason to try Reiki is to feel the bliss of deep relaxation.
- Energizing: If you're drained of energy, Reiki will revive you.
What Reiki is Not ?
- Reiki is not religious.
- Reiki is not massage or reflexology.
Reiki generally has no side effects, as it is a very low impact and gentle procedure. Some receivers report tingling or sensations of heat or cold during treatment. Others have reported sadness or anxiety during treatment, which practitioners claim are buried or repressed emotions being released by the new energy flow.
Benefits of Reiki :
The benefits of Reiki fall into two main categories. First, there are emotional benefits. These generally fall under the category of improved self-realization and a better awareness of strengths and weaknesses. Self-awareness leads to increased self confidence and more honest and deeper relationships - both with yourself and with others. Many people achieve the same results with any form of meditation.
Reiki embraces meditation as one of its prime processes. If takes it a little further in terms of channeling and focusing the healing energy within the body. The theory behind Reiki is that healing takes place on a number of levels. This means that for optimal healing the healer needs to be concerned with more than just the physical level.
Conventional medicine deals almost exclusively with physical healing and well-being. Layering an energy healing process such as Reiki on top allows the patient to heal more effectively and more completely.
Reiki is a practice that has been used as a complementary therapy for those who wants to undergo physical and emotional healing. Even those with more serious conditions and ailments are said to be benefited by such an old practice. In such cases, several sessions are often recommended.
Among the conditions that can be helped by reiki in healing are heart diseases, joint pains, headaches, fatigue, stress, difficulty sleeping, an even for cancer patients and those who just has a surgery or about to go under the knife.
The practice of reiki is also being used for the entire body for relaxation as well as healing. What is good about this form of alternative healing is that, once you get to learn and practice how to do the reiki, you can actually do some self-healing.
Benefits of reiki are as follows:
- Dissolves energy blocks and promotes natural balance between mind, body and spirit;
- Increases energy levels;
- Creates deep relaxation and helps the body release stress and tension;
- Clears the mind and improves focus;
- Accelerates the body's self-healing ability;
- Aids better sleep;
- Reduces blood pressure;
- Helps relieve pain;
- Assists the body in cleansing itself from toxins;
- Supports the immune system;
- Helps spiritual growth and emotional cleansing;
- Promotes creativity;
- Compliments medical treatment.
Reiki Principles :
Five core values which feature in Reiki philosophy and teaching, sometimes known as the Reiki Principles, namely:
- Don't get angry.
- Don't worry.
- Be grateful.
- Work hard.
- Be kind to others.
Tips for choosing a Reiki Master :
While every Reiki Master is obliged to pass on the appropriate 'Degree of Attunement' to any given candidate, each Reiki Master is likely to take their own approach, and may augment or position their teaching with other related concepts, orientations, types of application, etc., so be aware that variety and choice are available. Associated orientations and Reiki applications will include: counselling skills; teaching you how to help your 'client/patient' to feel at ease; the use of self-development techniques to aid the Reiki candidate in his/her quest; light trance-states for meditation sessions; the safe use of essential oils to create a sympathetic ambience, etc.
Fees vary too, and as with other services and advisors, a high fee doesn't necessarily mean best or right for you. Trust your instincts, and allow yourself to be 'drawn' to a person you feel is right for you.
Travelling distance, accommodation and convenience will also have a bearing on cost and your decision.
Contact with a number of Reiki Masters. Emailing and/or talking on the phone will soon give you an idea whether you're on the right track.
If possible go and visit the Reiki Master. Some Reiki Master hold Reiki 'Sharing Meetings', others not.
Some Reiki Masters are 'full-time' others have other commitments. A full-time Reiki Master is not necessarily any better than a 'part-time' Reiki Master (a person's commitments' other than Reiki may be just as worthy as Reiki).
Ultimately, choice will come down to a feeling, a sense that this person will be good to trust. Clearly, Reiki Masters are individuals. They bring their personalities to the proceedings and by chatting and meeting you will pick-up on their vibration. If it chimes well with yours; if you like what you hear; if you can see yourself safe in the teacher's hands - then you're probably right to go along with your intuition.
Principles Of Reiki
The Reiki Principles are fundamental to the practice and understanding of Reiki. It shouldn't be forgotten that Reiki was, and still is a powerful tool, not just for healing but also for personal and spiritual growth. Even though Reiki is non-denominational and is to be enjoyed by people of any faith, (or none), to get the most out of your Reiki experience, whether that is by giving or receiving Reiki, you should aim to live by the Reiki Principles. Reiki is a life choice, a spiritual journey in, and of, itself.
These Principles are given below :
- Just for today, do not anger.
- Just for today, do not worry.
- Just for today, honour you parents, teachers and elders.
- Just for today, earn your living honestly.
- Just for today, show gratitude to every living thing.
Type Of Reiki
There are many different kinds of Reiki, all of which are an adaption of Usui Reiki. Different methods and symbols have been developed and used for each type, but the principle behind them remains the same.
- Usui Reiki
- Karuna Reiki
- Angelic Reiki
- Rainbow Reiki
- Kundalini Reiki
- Ancient Egyptian Reiki
- Crystal Reiki
- Dragon Reiki
- Fire Serpent Reiki
- Hypno Reiki
- Aromatherapy Reiki
- Tummo Reiki
Benefits Of Reiki
Reiki is a form of oriental therapy that allows healing through the palms, thus the practice is sometimes called the 'palm healing.' In this form of healing, the practitioners are said to transfer a healing energy to the palms that promote healing to the physical body. Healing is said to be the main benefits of reiki.
Everyone is born with the right to be healthy and live with happiness, and the path of Reiki helps to fulfill that right." - Reiki goes deep within the mind, body, and spirit relaxing, increasing vitality, and promoting and speeding healing. Reiki is a form of universal energy and herbs have their own energy nourished by the earth, moon and sun. Reiki and nature are the perfect balance.
Reiki is a non-invasive healing method that promotes balance and wellbeing of an individual on mental, spiritual and physical levels. Reiki allows a practitioner to maneuver the energy flow in the body of the recipient with his/her hands. The therapy balances the energy flow within the body, initiates cleansing, and removes blockages to effect a total and healthy healing.
Reiki is excellent for healing any physical, mental, emotional and spiritual issues of any kind and it gives wonderful results.
- Reiki calms the mind and refreshes the brain cells
- Reiki promotes creativity and enhances memory
- Reiki channelizes positive energy and aids inner healing
- Reiki advances clarity of thought and promotes prompt and healthy decision-making ability
- Reiki introduces self-realization and awareness and improves outlook
- Reiki benefits self confidence and encourages fortitude
Reiki works on the significance of 'life force energy'. When the flow of life force energy is blocked or depleted, the human body is weakened, which manifests in physical and mental problems. The disruption or imbalance of the energy flow can be a result of many external or internal factors such as:
- Nutritional imbalance
- Poor lifestyle
- Emotional imbalance/setback
- Self loathing
- Creates deep relaxation and aids the body to release stress and tension,
- It accelerates the bodie's self-healing abilities,
- Aids better sleep,
- Reduces blood pressure
- Can help with accute (injuries) and chronic problems (asthma, eczema, headaches, etc.) and aides the breaking of addictions,
- Helps relieve pain,
- Removes energy blockages, adjusts the energy flow of the endocrine system bringing the body into balance and harmony,
- Assists the body in cleaning itself from toxins,
- Reduces some of the side effects of drugs and helps the body to recover from drug therapy after surgery and chemotherapy,
- Supports the immune system,
- Increases vitality and postpones the aging process,
- Raises the vibrational frequency of the body,
- Helps spiritual growth and emotional clearing
The health benefits of reiki are functional and all round. The benefits provided by the therapy work on physical, emotional, mental and spiritual levels. Physical Benefit
- Reiki promotes the self-healing properties in the human body
- Reiki provides relief in acute as well as chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, skin problems, headaches, migraines, fatigue, and back pain
- Reiki accelerates tissue regeneration in case of burns and scars
- Reiki improves blood circulation and reduces inflammation post injury or surgery
- Reiki helps reduce side effects (nausea, vomiting) of treatments like chemotherapy and surgery
- Reiki eases the movement in people with arthritis or stiffness
- Reiki rejuvenates and balances the vital organs and glands in the body
- Reiki decreases the symptoms of diseases such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and autoimmune disorders.
- Reiki releases toxins from the body and strengthens the immune system
- Reiki reduces insomnia and other sleep-related disorders
- Reiki reduces high blood pressure and alleviates pain
- Reiki revitalises the body cells and slows down the ageing process
- Reiki eases the complications during pregnancy and childbirth
- Increased intuition and creativity leads to a more purposeful direction in life.
- Feel more connected and in tune with others and the universe.
- Deep relaxation, the mind calms and becomes less erratic.
- Eases depression, insomnia, lack of confidence, addiction and fear-based illnesses.
- Increased intuition, and creativity.